Sunday, March 30, 2014

Scrub top with hearts on it...no accident...

So, I am now three weeks into my new adventure…only four weeks left to go…and let me tell you GOD IS AW-MAZING!!!  I am beginning to see that I am not taking this class for me, but for the people associated with the class, the instructor, the clinicals, the residents of the clinicals, the employees of the clinic…the LORD is moving in cool, incredible ways and I am so thankful to be part of HIS plan!! 

 So, the first night of class I met a gal names Kayla, and through our short conversation I was able to bring up the Lord, and the door was opened.  Class continues to go well and I am getting to know these gals better, praying for more opportunity to share HIM with them.

Clinicals…my first one, yesterday…6 AM to 2:30 PM…YIKES!!  I went into the day praying, excited, yet a bit apprehensive.  I was introduced to Mikela.  She would be the CNA I would follow.  The morning started fast and furious and I quickly wondered ‘What in the world am I doing here?’  This was out of my league; this was OUT of my comfort zone.  Where is the nearest exit without an alarm on the door?!  I was trapped!  Well, talking with the Lord through it…I continued to follow Kela around, watching how she did everything.  Soon, I got into the swing, and started understanding more of the tasks.  Well, it was extremely interesting the whole day, and I will spare you details, but my heart went from wanting to escape to grasping just what was at hand.

 These were adults, grown-ups, people who have lived life.  Instead of being impersonal people we were doing a task for, these residents quickly grasped my heart.  To have lived an independent life and now, whatever the circumstances, they were in a full care facility.  They depend on the staff to get them up, to help them use the bathroom, to get them to breakfast, to assist them to rest/nap, or head to the next activity.  These people are completely and utterly dependant on ‘us’ for their daily living needs.  My heart was now sympathizing with them.  What humility to be a grown man, on the toilet, waiting for the assistance to get cleaned up, and back in his wheel chair. To have been living in freedom and now at this point in life; dependency.  My heart realized I have the opportunity to make this a brighter day for them. 

WOW.  The day went on and I was able to get to know the CNA I was with a little better.  The end of day one clinicals, started rough, but ended with a changed heart and an excitement for day two.

Day two.  What great joy it was to see some of the faces of the residents, and to continue to get to know their quirks, their joys, etc…the challenge of bringing smiles and joy was accepted!  My outlook of how the task was gross when I started day one was changed to: this is a task that someone needs to do, for they are unable to do it for themselves now, but I can do this knowing how much they appreciate it.  Knowing they are completely and utterly dependent for the care and mercy we give them, their care givers.  They can’t hide anything, they are naked before us, there is no shame in it, it is what it is.  There are no pointing fingers. There is no laughing at them.  There is beauty in the pure, vulnerable position they are in, counting on us for safe, helpfulness, and caring of their needs.

A highlight of day two was the moment Willard smiled, and said, ‘sing another one!’  You see Kela loves to sing and it is a light in those dreary halls.  It was the end of day one when I harmonized with her that she looked at me and said, ‘what was that you just did? Did you just harmonize with me? You sing?’  That moment with Kela opened a door, a connection between us that wasn’t already there.  We had a new connection, and a bond.  So, day two, towards the end of our shift, we were in the bathroom with a gentleman and she started singing a hymn.  I thought to myself, here it is, here is the opportunity!  I knew the hymn, and I knew the harmony parts, let it go.  Bathrooms have the best acoustics, and it was time to sing some praises to the King, right here and now!  So, I let it out.  Harmony.  It was a precious moment.  SO precious!  The gentleman on the toilet enjoyed it and as we were singing, he commented it obviously wasn’t our first time singing together.  (HA, it was, and it was all the LORD!) Well, his roommate was Willard, and he can be grouchy.  When we started singing, he looked up, and was touched, deeply by the singing.  The song we were singing ended, and he says, “Sing another one please.  Your voices blend SO well together!”  He was half smiling, and there was a glimmer of joy in his heart.  So, Kela broke out in song, ’What a Friend in Jesus’…and the harmony came.  Willard sat there, intrigued by what he heard, and I could see the peace in his eyes with the music. IT was beautiful!!  We walked out of the room singing, and changed to ‘I’ll fly away’.  A couple gals were coming down the hall and commented the same thing…”it isn’t the first time you two have sung together”.  Nope, all the Lord!!  Truly!  What a joy, a blessing to be able to bless those residents with song!!  It was another moment of realization that music breaks through even those tough, hard hearted people like Willard.  And as I mentioned the door with Kela being opened…this opened it wider!  To spare the details, we ended up going out for a bite to eat after our shift was over, and she shared much about her life.  The Lord is working!!  Oh, that I would be faithful.  This friendship is just starting! 

LORD, YOU aw-maze me, and I am so excited to be on this journey.  TO share JESUS through song, and actions.  To love on these people!  To be able to chat with Kela about YOU!  Oh Lord, continue to do GREAT things through me, with me and to me!!  I am honored to be Your child, Your vessel!!  I look forward to the next 4 weeks!  Oh, and I haven’t even written about the Thursday night, March 11th!  For another time, but ALL God again!!  I LOVE YOU LORD!!  GO before me…prepare me and those You put in my path!!  Glory is all Yours!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment