Sunday, April 26, 2020

Social Distancing Church Service


April 26, 2020

Today I sit in the sanctuary of my home church that usually seats around 300/400 people.  Today is different. There are chairs for about 90 people, spaced in groups, six feet apart. Some groups of chairs of 2, 4, 6, 7, and even single chairs standing alone, distanced six feet from the next group of chairs. Today is the first day our church has opened its doors since the ‘shelter in place’ order was put in effect on March 28th

We’ve been having online services and Travis and I have been worshiping from home.  It has been different yet, I am thankful the church body is not defined by a building. The body of Christ remains strong, amidst this season and worship online has been a blessing.

Today Travis and I were very early.  Travis had been asked to serve, seating and directing people upon entering the sanctuary, so I was blessed to come with and had time to worship the Lord before the service started. As I sat in the far back corner of the sanctuary, observing this large room, I opened God’s word and read Psalm 46 as this scripture had been flashing on the screens at the front.  I also reflected on the how the world around me has changed in the last three months.  I continued to look around at the extremely empty sanctuary and reflected how blessed I am. My eyes got misty as I looked around and my eyes didn’t see the families interacting with one another.  They didn’t see the little kids running to their babysitters or Sunday school teachers, excited to hug them.  My eyes didn’t see moms catching up with other moms, or men giving other men a solid slap on the shoulder followed by a handshake and smile. My eyes didn’t see the teenagers grouped together. Nor did my eyes see the elderly enter the room holding their life long lover’s hand. My eyes were pulling at my heart strings as I looked around the almost empty sanctuary. My ears.  Oh, my ears were missing something too. My ears didn’t hear the constant buzz of conversations all around me or the sporadically loud laughter from the other side of the room. My ears didn’t hear heart felt laughter and giggling from young and old. My ears didn’t hear the ‘excuse me’ as people scooted by to sit down the row from me.  My ears. Instead my eyes and ears saw and heard few people. Some isolated within the large room, sitting in the solo chair six feet from anyone. I saw masks covering smiles and faces, my ears heard muffled voices. It looked, sounded and felt so different.  

Don’t get me wrong.  It was an absolute blessing to be sitting in this room where many have heard the Gospel message over the years and to be one of the few able to worship together.  The numbers have been limited, to ensure the social distancing policy is kept in place.  This is wise.  Yet, this is odd. My heart was beyond blessed and my ears now heard Pastor Rick start to warm up at the piano, my ears did hear those few voices, muffled by the masks and my eyes were thankful to see the few friendly faces that were present. It was a good thing.
As I read through Psalm 46 (which has MANY great verses) the ones that stood out to me were:

            1) “God is our refuge and strength,
a helper who is always found in times of trouble.”
2) “Therefore, do NOT be afraid…”
Skip to
8) “Come, see the works of the Lord,
Who brings devastation on the earth.”
9) “He makes wars cease throughout the earth…”
10) “Stop your fighting, and KNOW that I am God,
exalted among the nations, exalted on the earth.”

This passage starts with ‘GOD is our refuge and strength, a helper who is always, ALWAYS found in times of trouble’. What a promise.  He continues with, ‘Therefore (because He is our refuge and strength) do NOT be afraid’. Again, what a promise. The passage continues with God’s greatness. Then, we get to verse eight and it says ‘Come, see the works of the Lord, who brings devastation on the earth’.  Look!  Come, look!  God brings devastation to the earth, come look!! Again, this is truth, God has and is going to bring devastation.  But that isn’t the end of the news.  ‘He makes wars cease.’ Yes, He does. Even though He brings the devastation, He makes the devastation stop.  He asks us in verse 10, to also stop.  Stop and KNOW I am God. And not just to KNOW I am God, know I am exalted among the nations and the all the earth.  I AM GOD. Verse eleven says: “The Lord of Armies is with us; the God of Jacob is our stronghold.” He starts Chapter 46 of Psalms with the promise God is our refuge and strength, a Helper who is ALWAYS found in times of trouble.  He then says he will bring this trouble, this devastation, but He continues to say He will make it cease, He will be exalted and ends it with, I AM YOUR STRONGHOLD. Wow! Take comfort in who He is and what He does!

So, as Travis joined me, in the back corner, where two chairs had been placed, six feet from anyone else, and the service began, my heart missed the family of God I am used to worshiping with. Yet, there was a revival in my heart of Who we serve and worship. None of this is a surprise to the Lord and He remains in control of every single detail. 
Every. Single. Detail. 
Even though worship looked different, the God whom we serve is not different. He is still in control.  He is on the throne. Yesterday, today, and forever. Whew, that is a promise!

(the sanctuary from my corner)

No comments:

Post a Comment